At Cairns Plastic Surgery, we provide both surgical and non-surgical treatments of skin cancer. Distinguishing between the two is dependent on the type of skin cancer as well as the size of the affected area.
Surgical skin cancer removal
Surgical skin cancer removal involves cutting out the skin cancer, along with a margin of surrounding healthy skin to help ensure all dangerous cells are removed. Depending on the size of the excision, the site can either be sutured, or it may need a tissue flap or skin graft.
Non-surgical skin cancer removal
Non-surgical skin cancer surgery is dependent on the type of skin cancer, but this treatment can be done with creams, chemotherapy, erbium laser, or radiotherapy.
Your general practitioner may refer you to a plastic surgeon for skin cancer treatment under the following circumstances:
- There is an incidence of larger skin cancer excisions that need skin flaps or grafts
- Skin cancer treatment will occur in an aesthetically sensitive area like the eyes, nose, ears or lips
- Specialised laser treatment is recommended
- The appearance of residual scars may be improved
- Scar revision after skin cancer removal
SKIN CANCER IN AUSTRALIA
Skin cancer can generally be split into two types: melanoma and non-melanoma. Non-melanoma skin cancers (known as basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma) are more common and are generally slow-growing and localised. Melanoma skin cancer is the most dangerous form of skin cancer, can occur on any area of the body, and is highly likely to spread to internal organs.
- Skin cancer (both melanoma and non-melanoma types) accounts for 80 per cent of newly diagnosed cancers
- Up to 99 per cent of skin cancers are caused by sun exposure
- The incidence of skin cancer is one of the highest in the world
SERVICES FOR PENSIONERS AND DEPARTMENT OF VETERAN AFFAIRS (DVA) MEMBERS
Dr Hertess and her team provide specialist skin cancer services and care for pensioners, and members of the DVA. To find out more information on how we can help you please do not hesitate to contact us today!